Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Three Day Tour

This last weekend I went to Newham and Lancefield for the Northern Combine 3 Day Tour.  Saturday and Monday we were in Newham and Sunday started in Lancefield but we ended up in Newham.  I drove up and back each day.  I thought it would be cheaper to do that than get accommodation for both myself and Briony.  It was only just over an hours drive and it was so nice to come home each night.

Saturday was wet and it rained on and off all day.  Besides taking photos my next priority was protect the camera from the rain.  It wasn't a pouring hard type of rain, but a light rain coming constantly and quite windy.  I put a plastic shopping bag over the camera with some electrical tape sticking it to the lens hood.  I had a thick plastic shopping bag to put the camera into when I wasn't taking photos.  Of course the best thing I had was Christine who very patiently held the umbrella over my head.  Not sure I could have done it without her.


Sunday was still cold, overcast, but at least the rain held off, so I could take photos without worrying about whether or not I was going to damage the camera.  The sun came out in patches, but not really enough to make me want to stay out of the car. 

Monday was gorgeous, after a 0 degree start.  By the time racing started it had warmed up a lot and it was really nice.  It was great to take shots of riders in the outdoors and I think all the riders seemed in better moods as well.

I don't know about photographing the road though.  I'm hoping that my hesitations with it are more because I don't really know what I'm doing as opposed to I don't like it.  It is really hard.  You have to be in several places at once.  It is made even harder when there is more than one race on at a time.  I get permission to go out and follow the races, but then it can be really hard to get back in time for when they finish.

With the 3 day tour I had to make some tough decisions.  There were more seniors than juniors, so I tended to follow the seniors more.  It also comes down to who is more likely to buy or want images, and experience tells that it is more likely to be the seniors.

When I missed some finishes one day, then I had to make sure I could them the following day.  I tried to get back for all the finishes on the last day, but I missed a turn on the way back and got so lost.  Ended up in the middle of no where and only made it back for the A grade, C Grade and Women's A finishes.  Really disappointing, but I suppose that is one of the problems photographing the road season.

I will admit that one of things I am enjoying is the influence of Graham Watson and trying to emulate what he does.  I am really happy with some of the shots I got that really show the scenery, I hope.  I tried to get into a position to show the riders from a distance.  It is something new I'm trying, but I like the idea of using the background to help tell the story of the race.  I think you can tell with the naked trees that it is winter here, but a lovely winter day.

I did enjoy photographing the time trial and would really like to do more of those.  I think I just have to find my feet with doing this.  Each time I go out and do it I feel the photos get better, so maybe I will love doing it by the end of the season.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment