Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Photographing the Shepparton Junior Tour

I don't usually do race reports, but thought it might be a good idea to give an insight into how a photographer covers a race.  This particular tour is probably not a good one to do, as I know when I'm covering it, that the photos will end up all over facebook and hardly anyone will buy them.  I will spend hours doing stuff and won't get anything back for it, so I have to say I went to this tour, thinking "What is the point".  The answer I got back was practice.  It will be good practice.  Still I wasn't excited about it and I think the low number of images shows that. 

I was excited at the prospect of using the motorbike and being on the back to take photos.  I also had a go, the day before, of riding the motorbike myself.  I have the license, but haven't done it in quite a long time.  It was good fun and most of how to do it came back to me.  Stopping was a little tricky, but I will get the hang of it again.  For the Eildon Junior Tour Simon, the guy who rides the bike for me, won't be available, so I will have to go out on my own.  I will ride the motorbike around as it really is the easiest way to get around and get past groups of riders.

Normally I would walk around at the beginning of an event and take photos of what takes place before a race.  I didn't really do that this time.  I concentrated more on getting myself ready and making sure my daughter was set to go.  I also wanted to catch up with some people I hadn't seen for a while.

I did make it to the start, and was there to photograph most of the starts.  I took photos of the first 6 races to get going, then Simon came with the bike and I put my helmet on and we set off. 

The weather wasn't great and it had been raining, and looked like it might continue to rain.  I put some plastic bags in my pockets just in case.  The worse thing would be to let the cameras get wet.  I don't think they work too well if wet. 

It is so good being able to photograph the riders as they ride.  On the motorbike we can move at the same speed and it makes capturing them so much easier.  Though, I realised when I was going through the photos, that I probably could experiement more shutter speed while doing it.  I don't have to worry so much about getting them quickly.  I think the juniors really like the motorbike coming up beside them to take photos as well, makes them feel like pros.

Hopefully we don't make them too nervous and they just continue racing.  Photographing from the moving bike does present new challenges.  The biggest one being, how to move on the back.  I've started to discover that the best position for me to be in to lean backwards.  This allows me to get both arms around and able to hold the camera better.  I can also twist more.  I really need to start doing some work on my core though, the stomach muscles aren't too good for this sort of thing.  Must start doing some sit-ups.

I tried to get back for the finishes, though, I ended up only getting a few.  The races were really short for the whole weekend, so my opportunities were limited.  I have a reputation for photographing everyone and I like doing that, but I'm finding with the road, it just isn't possible, but I will take photos of as many people as possible.  I do tend to miss the younger grades and have to make sure when Eildon comes that I make more of an effort to get the younger kids. 

The afternoon saw the time trial.  The sun came out and it was a magnificent afternoon.  I started by taking lots of photos of the younger kids as they left the start.  Then I went out on the bike to the U13 turn-around.  I photograph them coming up to the turn and then as they are going back. 

After the younger ones were finished I headed out to a hill, where I take photos of them coming down the hill and then back up the hill on the way back.  I decided to lie down and use the roller on the back of the bike for a head rest.  I loved the way the images are looking up at them, and the sky is so prominent behind them.  Probably should have moved so the power pole wasn't there. 

I only got a few of these shots because I realised my backside was getting really wet.  I mean really wet.  I really need to get some waterproof pants.  I think they would be perfect for taking photos and would make getting down on the ground less a hassle.  Must put them on the list for Eildon. 


Once most of them had gone, we decided to follow a couple of the under 17 boys.  Boys who we thought wouldn't freak out at having the motorbike follow them for a bit while having their photo taken.  The first person we came across was Tom Hamilton.  I also took photos of him and then we moved onto the next person.  As Simon has previously coached Alex Morgan, we didn't follow him in Ararat, but I told Simon to move it and catch up to him.  I don't see why Alex should miss out just because of previous connections.  There is some concerns that we might be accussed of motorpacing him, but we know that we don't. 

The images were great and really shows them working.  You can't really get images like that any other way. I love the position of the cyclist on the bike when they are doing a time trial.  The skin suits give them smooth look all over and just makes some great photos.

The following day was another road race.  Again, very short races, so was only out for just over an hour.  I again didn't really get any shots of the younger ones, and hardly any of the under 15 girls, but I promise I will do more for the Eildon Tour. 

I didn't hang around for the presentations this time, and also didn't get any finishes.  My daughter had an asthma attack when she finished her race, and yet again, her mother was no where around to help her.  She wasn't happy, so we made the decision to just go.  I don't get much call for the presentation shots, everyone has their cameras there, so I didn't feel too bad about it.  I have spoken to CSV about it and they told me which presentations I need to make sure I get photos of. 

After photographing road events using the car to get around, and then using the motorbike, I think there is no doubt that the motorbike is a much better option.  I can see why the professionals use motorbikes all the time.  I might have to see about getting my own at some stage and even hiring someone to ride the bike for me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment