Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Refining My Craft

On Friday night I went to training with Briony at DISC, they were training for the club teams championships on the weekend. I decided to go and do some more experimenting with the flash. I've only had it about 2 weeks now and I wasn't happy with the results I got from it at the Brunswick Open.

This image is too blown out and the colours don't stand out. I have always hated using the flash, to me it makes the images too flat and does something to the colour of the lights that doesn't seem natural. I have always preferred natural lighting. Even when I was doing portraits, I always tried to go more for natural light.

However, having said that, there is a place for it, because when you are photographing an event like this, where it is indoors, there are going to be problems with the light. DISC is pretty good, there are skylights all over the top and lots of natural light comes through, but there are dark spots and if there are any clouds, or it starts to rain, then the whole place gets really dark.

I did some research on the internet trying to find out how to do fill flash with the flash unit I bought, and managed to find one really helpful site, but then when I went back to find it I couldn't find it anyway. A lot of places had great tips, but part of the problem is having to do things like expose somewhere else and then photograph the subject, which is great in theory, but not practical when you are trying to photograph something that is moving quickly.

From what I could remember from the first site I found, I put the exposure onto spot exposure, so it exposed only the cyclist, and then I put the flash down to -2 and for the most part got some really nice shots.
I think this image is a lot more successful, the light is soft, doesn't detract from the riders and I am very happy with it. I took lots of images on the weekend doing this, and while they didn't all work, a large percentage of them did. I was really happy when I was going through the photos to see how they turned out. I hope everyone else looking at them agrees.

I will have to continue practicing, I know I still have a lot to learn about taking photos of cycling, or any other sporting event, but I will get there one day, maybe one day I'll be as good as Graham Watson, wouldn't that be something.

No comments:

Post a Comment