Monday, February 15, 2010

Being Allowed to Photograph Events

It's been an interesting week. I found out earlier in the week that my application for Media Accreditation to photograph the Vixens had been turned down. I wasn't at all surprised. Apparently it was because I am not with ANZ Championship or I don't work for a publication like a newspaper. I'm not sure I want to work for either, so I imagine my chances of getting media accreditation is basically zero.

It wasn't totally bad news, she did suggest I might have a better chance of photographing the Australian National League later on in the year, so I will see how I go there, and that she might, might be able to get me a temporary media pass for one Vixens game. I'll take it. One game is better than none, and really I just want to experience it and to watch the other photographers. So I hope she can do that.

Meanwhile I was organising my media passes for two cycling events that are coming up, the Sid Patterson Grand Prix and Revolution 6, both at DISC at the end of the month. I had no problems, though I have been doing this a while now. What different worlds they are between cycling and netball. Cycling has always been great to be involved in, but netball is so frustrating.

You can walk into an event anywhere with cycling and start taking pictures, no one cares, but netball as soon as you bring out a camera, you are on their list as a potential pedophile. It's the world gone nuts. When I first got my camera last year the first event I photographed was my daughters Grand Final. First I had to get permission from everyone to be allowed to do it. I asked every member of the opposite team if it was OK and told them that I was putting the photos up on my website, and gave them a card to let them know where they could find them. Wasn't a problem at all.

This is one of those shots. It wasn't as easy as I thought, and I had to contend with the new camera as well as the weight of it. It would be a lot better now because I've done it a lot more now. Well used the camera.

I have been trying to organise opportunities to take more photos at netball, but there is a lot of "red tape" and I keep asking myself is it worth the hassle. The cycling is always going to be the main thing I take photos of, but my other daughter plays netball and it would be nice to be able to do some.
So I have to try and get permission from people and I've spoken to the relevant people and access is happening. I suppose I do have to ask myself that question of why do I want to do it, and the answer is I'm not sure. I have to admit the fact that parents can't take photos themselves, or feel like they can't, makes me think I could make money from it, but I feel so horrible thinking that is the only reason. I don't know why, we are all looking for opportunities to make money, so why not. I really need to get over that.

I am going to stick with it and see how it goes, but if it turns out to be a major hassle then, no, I don't think I will continue, I'll just stick to taking photos of cycling, which I am loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment