Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Photos, Copyright, and Facebook

When I first started putting my photos on the web so people could buy them, I thought, hey they are going to love these and want the pictures. I try very hard to make sure the photos I take are good and keep striving to get better and better at it. I do lots of research, read a lot, and look at what other photographers are doing.

I know people really like the photos I'm taking, but no one is buying them. Well except for a few. I know people are finding them because they are all over facebook. For many of the Juniors if you look at their pages, you will find my watermark on their images. I know they have to tick a box on facebook to say they have the right permission to do this, I also know that they are lying, because they haven't asked my permission.

Initially, when I first started taking the photos I noticed that the juniors were using my images on facebook, I was pleased. I thought, well they have have found the website. I also thought, they seem to like them. I thought it was just a matter of time before orders started coming in. I was so wrong.

Another photographer advised me against letting them use the images on facebook and said they should pay. We have wondered about this, and, again, thought, some good will would help. I don't think it has. I just didn't want to be hard handed, and to come down on people for doing it.

So now I have to make a decision, do I stop letting them use the photos unless they pay for them first, one option. Another is to have give and take, they buy some images and in return they can have my permission to put other images on facebook. I can stop them putting images up and go to facebook and say they don't have my permission and are breaching my copyright, do something about it. Of course, the final option is to stop taking photos of the juniors at cycling, or only photograph those that I know pay for photos, and do what other photographers do, concentrate on the seniors, or move onto another sport.

I know my website is basic, but we are working on a new site, which will have a better gallery for viewing the photos and there will be a shopping cart that will make it easier to buy images. It all takes time. Still, it isn't too hard to order photos, just takes an email, and those that have bought some have found the experience not to difficult, I hope.

It will be a shame if I have to stop photographing the juniors, I do enjoy it and through it I've met lots of really nice people. I will wait about a month or so and then make my decision as to the direction I will go in.

3 comments:

  1. No easy answers for you Leanne. But I can understand your frustration.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I've done is only post very small images (a bit like a proof sheet) and/or dropped the resolution down to uber-grainy for sample shots. After a while I gave up and just slapped up 640x480's at normal res ... It was too much of a PITA and no-one bought them anyway, not a lot - over 4 years of cycling photos I've sold maybe 20? Anyway ... after a few discusions with others, one good way to get sales is to take a lappy to the race, and a packet of blank DVDs, and sell them on the day at the event, strike while the iron's hot and sell something physical. DVD's are almost free to buy, you can sell a DVD of photos of a rider etc for $10 or something, and I reckon that's the best chance you have of selling, these days you can't police copyright, so you have to think of different ways to sell your product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi leanne.

    i really appreciate what you wrote on my blog, and also like what you've written here. i'm glad you're working on a new website, as i can't help but feel that's the best way to make money out of photographing cyclists - and i certainly am not suggesting that you shouldn't be making money from your art.

    you can monetize your website - you can even do it with blogger - pretty easily, and the increased circulation of your photographs would lead to increased traffic to your website, and therefore more advertising money. like carl says above, in this digital era we all have to think of different ways to sell our product, and this is one possibility that would cause considerably less heartache.

    your photos are very good, and i for one would like to see them around more often - and not just the ones of me! if you emailed andy white from www.fyxomatosis.com i'm sure he'd love to have a chat with you about it all.

    ReplyDelete