Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Taking My Time

I love reading other people's blogs and it frustrates me when they don't update them a lot. Now look at me, I did one post and that was it. Admittedly I am new to this, but I think the real reason is that I really want to always put photos with the posts. That means I have to go and search for them, or the ones I want to put up. So now I have to go and find some photos for you.

Here are two that I've taken with my new camera. I took them both around Christmas. They are perhaps a couple of my favourites so far. The first one is Jason Niblett at the Horsham Christmas Carnivals. I know there are many ways I could have made it better, or rather it could have been done better, but it is not like I was trying to get it, and it was one of those images where when you are going through everything you took, it takes your breath away and you wish you knew how you did it. I love it when that happens.

Perhaps the person, now all blurry, standing in front is a distraction, but I like the way it looks as if Jason is coming out of the fog and into focus. Interesting.

The next image I took at the Jayco Bay Cycling Classic, it was the last stage, stage 4 at Williamstown. The image is of David Pell. He won the stage, and this was taken a lap or so before he finished. He had a massive lead for a lot of the race. Again, I was trying something different. I have never done sports photography really. I took it up doing the races that my daughter did, and photographing her and the other kids that were from our club, Blackburn.

I have been taking photos for about 17 years now, and have read and researched heaps about it. My first slr camera was a Pentax K1000 and then a few years later I got a Nikon F90X, now I'm using a Nikon D300s and absolutely love it. The point of this part is that photographing sport is new to me, and my favourite setting for taking most photos is to have the camera on Aperture priority. A really nice guy in Horsham told me to put the camera on Shutter priority and set the shutter speed at 1/250, a sports setting. I did that and got the image of Jason.

However, I'm still stuck on my old setting, but am slowly changing my ways, so I did it for some in Williamstown and got this image.

I am learning and with experience and practice I know I can take photos just as well as the top photographers. I will just keep reading and researching to fine tune my craft. It is so nice to be back taking photos. I know one of my teachers from TAFE would have faint with shock if he knew I was taking photos again and calling myself a photographer.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for starting a blog!!! It looks fab. and I agree that first photo is great - rather unique.
    It does take time to build up a regular group of readers. I suggest you find like minded blogs and be sure to leavea comment - most likely they will then drop by your blog. It's also a fab way of "meeting" like-minded people. Don't know if you've checked out flikr very much - no doubt there would a group full of cycling photos.
    Look forward to seeing more.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red in the second one. You were definitely right in our conversation today that colours need to be clear and bright, it is such a feature of the sport.

    ReplyDelete