Sunday, July 18, 2010

Taking the Time to Take Photos

As a photographer I see photos everywhere I look, well almost.  I am constantly composing scenes that I see.  My mind is always thinking about the next composition and ideas of images that I want to get.  My mind works in compositions, whether it be for photos or for paintings, prints, or drawings.  I know I should keep writing in my visual diary so I don't forget things, or maybe use it to plan what I'm going to do, but I never seem to.  I think I will have to start making that a habit again.

Another thing I'm not very good at is seeing something I want to photograph and, either not getting around to getting it, or seeing it when I'm driving and not stopping.  These are both things I really need to get better at.  On a recent trip to Eildon (more about that soon), I did make myself do that.

The first image I saw I had just stopped to take some training photos and as I took off I saw this scene and immediately stopped to get it.  It reminds me of a Peter Booth painting, and while I'm not absolutely sure it will be a good image as a photograph, I might use it for a drawing. 

This second image I drove past and thought, what a great shot, I stopped the car, turned around and went back.  I couldn't quite get what I first saw, but I think it is still interesting.  Perhaps if I had more time and wasn't following the boys on their bikes, I would have been able to spend more time to get the perfect shot, but it wasn't possible. 

I tend to see things and think, I will go back and photograph that, then I never do.  I need to start making notes of what I want to photograph, plan it out, when will be the best time, and then just go.  Of course it can be a risk, if you just go, you never know what the conditions will be, then again, if you only go when the conditions are good, then you can miss out on some really beautiful images.  I have some photos, from years ago, where the conditions were the worse, but persevered and when I got the photos back from the lab, I was totally astounded with what I had before me.  I even sold 2 of the images.

I did take a punt in Eildon that if I went up Skyline one morning, the valleys would be covered in fog, but the tops of the nearby hills/mountains, would be free of fog and the sun would be shining.  I had been told the day before I went up, that it was stunning, so I decided to drive up there about 9 o'clock and see what I could get.

There was so much fog in Eildon and on the way up, I thought I would get there and it would be a waste of time.  Then I started to see areas where it was clear.  Of course, the next problem was where do I stop, not a lot of places for cars to stop and take photos.

I saw this and had to walk through some mud (must remember when taking photos to make sure I wear sensible shoes, Ugg boots don't really cut it).  The fog was falling down the side and looked fantastic to watch and I thought about how I could capture it.  If I had put the camera on the tripod and slowed down the shutter speed, I would have just got it so that it looked blurred and would look like fog.  So you will have to take my word for it that it was moving. 

When I got close to the top, I was met with some glorious views.  It was exactly as I hoped it would.  I'm just going to leave you here with a selection of images.  I will try to always make sure I go and take photos from now on, and stop being so lazy.





3 comments:

  1. Your photos are great, babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne these are gorgeous you really seized the opportunity and got some stunning shots. Love the works you emailed me too, you're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete