Saturday, April 10, 2010

Photos on the Back of the Bike

A few months ago it was suggested that perhaps I should attempt to take some photos while riding on the back of a motorbike. I can't pretend that I wasn't excited at the thought. Actually I was absolutely over the moon, and couldn't wait to try it.

Of course while the track season was still on the go, there was no need to think about it but now that the track season is over it is time to start giving it some serious thought. One of the major problems with photographing the road is how to get around so you don't have to stay in the same position the whole time.

Last year one of the first races I really photographed was the Wangaratta State Championships for the road. I spent the first day at the ramp photographing all the Blackburn riders in the gate and then going down into the ramp. It wasn't too exciting, especially when you consider that I did it with a Canon point and click.

The next day for the road race my daughters coach, Simon, suggested I go out onto the course and photograph the riders as they came up a big hill in the course. I'm not sure if the suggestion was to get me away from my daughter or because he thought I would be able to get some good shots, I have always hoped it was the second.

As I was heading out with a friend, another mother and friend, Jenny, asked if I would like to borrow her digital SLR. As if I would say no. After a quick lesson on how to use the camera I headed out.

We waited ages for the kids to come around the corner and start heading up the hill. I got lots of photos of the riders as they came towards to me. I was sort of stuck there in that one place and once they had all gone past there was really no where to go but back.

The images were good, well not bad and it really started the whole ball rolling with me getting into photography again. Of course, then the track season started and the problems I had with photographing the road race and time trial were no longer problems. However, with the road season starting again now, the problems from Wangaratta are with me again.

There isn't a lot of point, I think, of standing around in the one place waiting for the riders. It makes the photos all the same, and is a bit boring for me. I need to be able to get around. So after Simon suggested using the motorbike, I've been waiting for an opportunity to go out and try it, and at last today I had a go.

It was a training ride up the 1 and 20. We took Simon's motorbike and followed the kids to the Basin and then up the hill. It was interesting because there were things I knew that I would be able to do and things that I didn't. First of all you can't use a big lens on the bike, you are too close to the riders and you only end up with head shots. I also found I couldn't turn around or twist as much as I would like. Not having a rack or anything on the back also made it a little scary. I didn't want to be turning around too much and then have Simon accelerate and me go over the back. I think you need the security of something like a rack behind you.

Once I changed the lens to a smaller one, and I imagine when I get myself set up better I will take 2 cameras with me with 2 different lens so I am ready for anything, then I was able to take better photos. I put the camera on as high a shutter speed as I could because I wanted to reduce the risk of blur, with me moving, the riders moving, I knew that it would have to be fast. I've tried taking photos out of the van window on training rides and it is hard. So with a faster shutter speed and a smaller lens I was able to get shots in focus and of more than just their heads. It seemed like I had started to find my way.

Another aspect of going out on the bike is that you can stop anywhere. I know you can do that in a car, but sometimes you can't. The other day when we went up Baw Baw I was driving my car and there were spots I wanted to take photos and no where to pull over off the road to stop, so I had to drive up a bit and then walk back, whereas with the bike there is always space to stop. With that option it is good to be able to pick several locations that you know you will be able to stop and get shots of the riders.

The motorbike is also much easier to maneuver around the riders. They are louder so the riders can hear them. I found with the car, the roads on mountains can be narrow and you can get stuck behind a bunch before it is safe to get around them, whereas with the bike there didn't seem to be much of a problem. Also, as I was just a passenger, I could concentrate on what I had to do. It was by far the best way to take photos of them and I look forward to being allowed to do it in races. I will need some more practice, but think there will be plenty of opportunity for that.

I have to say, I haven't been on a bike for so many years and it was great to go on it again. Riding a motorbike is quite an experience. One of things we do see a lot when out there is other motorbikes. I can't help thinking it might be a lot of fun to photograph them one day as they race, the speed with which they travel would be a challenge. Mmm one day perhaps. Simon kept pointing out the bikes with the suggestions that they were the type of bike we need. It has been suggested that his bike doesn't have enough power for doing this type of photography. Well time will tell, the old cliche.

No comments:

Post a Comment